mount_smbfs trouble after cvsup

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Fri Feb 24 10:34:50 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:04:54AM +0000, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:29 +0800, Tai-hwa Liang wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
> > > I've cvsuped from 6.0 to 6.1-PRERELEASE and now I can't mount NT's shares with
> > > password. It worked fine before, but after cvsup i get
> > > mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
> > > and in /var/log/messages I get
> > > Feb 21 14:51:24 notebook kernel: netsmb_dev: loaded
> > > Feb 21 14:51:27 notebook kernel: smb_encrypt: password encryption is not
> > > available
> > > Feb 21 14:51:27 notebook kernel: smb_ntencrypt: password encryption is not
> > > available
> > >
> > > As far as I see, there is no option in mount_smbfs to disable password
> >
> >    "options NETSMBCRYPTO" in kernel configuartion file.
> >
> > > encryption, so I'm just stuck, what should I do?
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-January/059823.html
>
> Is there a reason this change was made?  And is there a reason why

The change wasn't against NETSMBCRYPTO, it just corrected the way
kernel modules get their options.

> NETSMBCRYPTO is not in GENERIC?  To me, it seems that breaking smbfs
> between releases within 6.x violates POLA... I suspect a large number of
> people (myself included) have always used smbfs for passworded shares
> and it's "just worked".

This issue is under investigation by the Release Engineers and yours
truly.  I'm sorry my change to the kernel module framework caused
the confusion, but so the whole issue has got attention at last.
Of course, it must be fixed before 6.1-R.  In the meanwhile, I'd
like to hear about any reservations on making NETSMBCRYPTO the
default case for netsmb/smbfs.  Thanks!

--
Yar