mount_smbfs trouble after cvsup

Steve Hodgson steve at stevehodgson.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 03:42:34 PST 2006

Gavin Atkinson wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:29 +0800, Tai-hwa Liang wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
>>

>>>I've cvsuped from 6.0 to 6.1-PRERELEASE and now I can't mount NT's shares with
>>>password. It worked fine before, but after cvsup i get
>>>mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
>>>and in /var/log/messages I get
>>>Feb 21 14:51:24 notebook kernel: netsmb_dev: loaded
>>>Feb 21 14:51:27 notebook kernel: smb_encrypt: password encryption is not
>>>available
>>>Feb 21 14:51:27 notebook kernel: smb_ntencrypt: password encryption is not
>>>available
>>>
>>>As far as I see, there is no option in mount_smbfs to disable password
>>>

>>   "options NETSMBCRYPTO" in kernel configuartion file.
>>

>>>encryption, so I'm just stuck, what should I do?
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-January/059823.html
>>

>Is there a reason this change was made?  And is there a reason why
>NETSMBCRYPTO is not in GENERIC?  To me, it seems that breaking smbfs
>between releases within 6.x violates POLA... I suspect a large number of
>people (myself included) have always used smbfs for passworded shares
>and it's "just worked".
>
>Moved to stable, where it belongs.

I agree. I recently tried to port some fixes for the "smb unmapped error
1:157" bug from NetBSD and was bitten by this change. Putting
NETSMBCRYPTO in GENERIC and in /usr/src/UPDATING is one option, or
changing the default to on, moving it NO_NETSMBCRYTPO and a note in
/usr/src/UPDATING is another.

Steve