Need serious help with Dell D600 Latitude laptop and Power Management please :)

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Sun Feb 19 16:29:38 PST 2006

> I am running a Dell D600 Latitude laptop [...] Here in FreeBSD, my
> fans are running FULL SPEED all of the time and also seems to be
> hotter than many conventional ovens.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 8600C (which is the cheaper consumer-grade
version of your laptop) and it runs nice and cool for me. You are
probably missing the power management daemon (powerd). For more
information, see man powerd and to see whether it helps, add the
following to your /etc/rc.conf:

powerd_enable="YES"

HTH,
- Bartosz