Need serious help with Dell D600 Latitude laptop and Power Management please :)

Ryan R air.lightz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 14:34:52 PST 2006

Hi all :-)

Novice FreeBSD user here, but I absolutely love it.  Thanks to Sam Leffler I
managed to get my RELENG_6 kernel patched to support my new Atheros wireless
card and everything except one really annoying problem is resolved..

I am running a Dell D600 Latitude laptop (2.0ghz Pentium Mobile) and
dual-boot Windows.  In Windows, I get about 3 hours and 30 minutes roughly
of battery time when I am not plugged into the AC Power, but in FreeBSD I
get around only 1.  In Windows, my fans don't generally run until the system
is doing something full load, and runs very cool.  Here in FreeBSD, my fans
are running FULL SPEED all of the time and also seems to be hotter than many
conventional ovens.   It is definitely way hotter than it is in Windows, and
definitely isn't relaxing when the system isn't doing anything stressful.  I
am a novice user and don't know where to start in solving this problem..
How come it isn't working automatically :(  Are there going to be alot of
manual commands I have to enter just to get it to calm down?

I also ran a distro of Linux called "Kubuntu" (A Debian offspring) and my
laptop ran nice and cool on it as well, with the battery only lasting
slightly less than when in Windows.  There definitely weren't these heat
problems, fan problems, and extreme power consumption problems..

I really need to get this fixed so ANY advice is highly appreciated :-)
I can happily provide any output you would like, and can't wait to get this
resolved :-)

duckdown at localhost$  sysctl hw.acpi

hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
hw.acpi.s4bios: 1
hw.acpi.verbose: 0
hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/1 C2/1 C3/85 C4/185
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00% 0.00% 0.00% 0.00%
hw.acpi.acline: 1
hw.acpi.battery.life: 100
hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
hw.acpi.battery.state: 0
hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 78.5C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 102.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

Thanks so much in advance :-)

-Ryan