dhclient in 6.0

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Feb 7 08:50:26 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:11:45AM +0000, Matt Dawson wrote:
> send host-name `hostname -s`;

I currently have *three* competing "execute()" patches queued for ISC
DHCP 3.1.0 which could be used to do this:

	send host-name execute("hostname -s");
	send fqdn.fqdn execute("hostname");
	send fqdn.encoded on;
	send fqdn.server_update [off/on];
	do-forward-updates [opposite of fqdn.server_update];

ISC dhclient also doesn't identify itself uniquely in the vendor-class-id
option...this to my knowledge hasn't been a problem since no one seems
to need to configure server-specific workarounds for the ISC dhclient.
If they had to, they also wouldn't be able to, is what I mean.

The point is we could also produce a vendor-id like;

	send vendor-class-identifier concat("ISC DHCP 3.1.x - ",
					    execute("uname -s -r -m"));

Which, I might point out, is similar to dhcpcd's default behaviour.

We could also easily do both of these by default.  No problem.  We could
even enclose the host-name in a conditional to detect unset hostnames so
you don't get eight boxes claiming to be "default".

But these are privacy questions more than technical ones.

Is it right to default to less privacy in this case?

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."