dhclient in 6.0

Rob B rbyrnes at mailshack.com
Mon Feb 6 02:07:08 PST 2006

At 07:02 PM 6/02/2006, Matt Dawson wrote:
>On Sunday 05 February 2006 06:04, you wrote:
> > The problem is that the integration of the modern wlan (802.11) code has
> > never been done in the if_wi code and it does not report state back to
> > wlan adequately to make the OpenBSD client function correctly.

Here's something odd ... this works (mostly) fine for me.

I did have to resort to the (ugly) /etc/start_if.wi0 script rather
than keeping everything in /etc/rc.conf, but hey ....

>Actually, even the simple dhclient.conf files have forced me to look at other
>ways of doing things. Some of them, such as DDNS from the DHCP server, have
>turned out to be more elegant and secure than manually configuring
>dhclient.conf on every machine. Certainly, having the dhclient process for a
>particular card commit suicide when someone pops out the NIC rather than
>sitting there sulking is a bonus, too.

The thing I found with DDNS was getting the darn client to return the
correct hostname.  For some reason, without setting it in
dhclient.conf, the DNS would not update, even if I have configured
the DHCP server to do the updates.

Cheers,
Rob