5.5 to 6.1 upgrade

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 27 05:42:16 UTC 2006

Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:

>   I've tried to use sysutils/portconf, but found that it still doesn't
> give an universal solution:

I think we need to be careful what our expectations of "universal" are with
a ports tree as large, and a userbase as diverse, as what we have. However ...

> 1) it doesn't work if /usr/ports is a link to another location.

Sure it does. You just have to be smarter about how you specify the triggers
in make.conf. :)  I have the following:

.if !empty(.CURDIR:M/mnt/slave/space/ports*)
# Begin portconf settings

Works like a charm.

> 2) it still doesn't affect OPTIONS (in the ports sense); try e.g. the
>    following:

If it's not working at all to start with (as you specified above), then this
additional example of brokenness is meaningless. Additionally, OPTIONS
ignores settings in the environment at all times to start with. It's easy
enough to test this for yourself by placing something in make.conf.

hth,

Doug