5.5 to 6.1 upgrade

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Sat Aug 26 22:12:08 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>>> It depends.  If options are OPTIONS (in the ports sense), they
>>> are saved and independent of portupgrade.  If options are
>> sysutils/portconf does not have that limitation. If you specify flags using
>> that method, they will always be used.
>>
> True.  The implementation is also smart -- it doesn't spam make(1)
> environment when not necessary.  Thanks!

   I've tried to use sysutils/portconf, but found that it still doesn't
give an universal solution:

1) it doesn't work if /usr/ports is a link to another location. Try e.g.
    the following configuration:

root at homelynx# ls -l /usr/ports
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  9 Aug 27 00:27 /usr/ports -> ftp/ports
root at homelynx# cd /usr/ports/net/quagga
root at homelynx# realpath .
/usr/ftp/ports/net/quagga
root at homelynx# grep quagga /usr/local/etc/ports.conf
net/quagga: WITH_SNMP=yes
root at homelynx# make -V WITH_SNMP

root at homelynx#

    Ports infrastructure itself works OK in this configuration, but
    sysutils/portconf does not.

2) it still doesn't affect OPTIONS (in the ports sense); try e.g. the
    following:

root at homelynx# realpath .
/usr/ports/net/quagga
root at homelynx# rm -rf /var/db/ports/quagga
root at homelynx# grep quagga /usr/local/etc/ports.conf
net/quagga: WITH_SNMP=yes
root at homelynx# make

    You'll see the options menu, and "SNMP support" will be unchecked, so
    WITH_SNMP will be ignored by the port.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator