Motherboard RAID problem

Bill Blue bblue at netoldies.com
Sun Aug 20 19:24:43 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:22:48 -0700, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 07:55:47PM +0200, Greg Byshenk wrote:

>> > The ataraid(4) driver supports the Adaptec HostRAID.
>>
>> > <snip>

>> > If FreeBSD supports the device, you should see an ar0 device.
>>
>> > Do you have the ataraid(4) driver loaded, or built into your kernel?
>>

>> Alternatively, are you sure you have identified your hardware correctly?
>>
>> According to Supermicro here
>>
>>    <http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/875/P4SCT.cfm>
>>
>> the P4SCT has an Intel 6300ESB onboard RAID controller, which according to
>> this page
>>
>>    <http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=eoyraid&page=2&cookie%5Ftest=1>
>>
>> is based upon the ICH4, and not Adaptec controller.  And, unless I've
>> missed it, this controller is not supported.
>
> The ata(4) manual page lists the 6300ESB as supported. The ataraid(4)
> manual only lists the "Intel MatrixRAID" metadata format as supported.
>
> Roland

Roland, Greg,

Thanks for the replies.  The Intel 6300ESB (aka Hance Rapids I/O Controller Hub) serves as a controller for USB 2.0, UDMA100 and SATA150 devices.  Separately of that, there's the Adaptec embedded SATA with Hostraid controller driver which comes into play if you activate RAID in the BIOS.

Since they refer to it as Adaptec's Hostraid controller, it looks like ataraid(4) should support it.

And Nooooo, I didn't have ataraid defined in my kernel.  It was, but for some reason it isn't now.  I'll uh, have to add and rebuild.  Thanks for pointing out my error.

Now, when the ar0s1a-f devices do show up, does the boot device actually get changed from ad4* to ar0* or do I need to boot single user while it's talking to ad4* and change the mount points and reboot?  I've never played much with changing boot devices.

--Bill