error: syntax error before "_X_SENTINEL"

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Thu Aug 10 10:25:53 UTC 2006

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

Quoting Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net>:

> On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:24:36 -0700
> "Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Mark, and thank you for your prompt reply.
>>
>> Quoting Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz>:

>> > I saw this:
>> >

>> http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=84b9cfbdfe961f45c90c7c47960b2268&topic=2134.msg11956
>> >
>> > Might be worth a try.
>>
>> Yes, I caught the thread on that board. But didn't find the solution you
>> provided. Thanks! That was the /magic/ required to stop the whining offender
>> (gdkx.h). After some more research and investigation, this anomoly
>> appears to be a GTK/GD issue, and not X. I'm trying to figure out how to
>> get this #ifdef hack sucked in globally for the gtk/gd environment. I'm
>> /pretty/ sure gdkx.h will probably cover it. But would rather have it
>> sucked in from a seperate file. So as to not contaminate the actual header
>> file. I've cc'd the ports list, in hopes there is a better solution and
>> (even better) a newer version that resolves this problem.
>

> Hi all,
> interesting this is appearing ... I had this problem around 23rd of
> march on my
> laptop running 6-STABLE at the time. I am not sure if this is the
> *same* issue,
> BUT I think it went like this...
>
> xproto's makefile says it conflicts with xorg-libraries-*
> CONFLICTS=      XFree86-libraries-* xorg-libraries-*
>
> i think that I had installed by hand one of the X lib-packages and that had
> made the whole problem. conflicting libraries and include files. I
> removed all
> the extra Xfree86 libs and Xorg, reinstalled Xorg and that was it.
>
> I am not saying this is your problem... but it may be worth a try.
>
> Xfree86 lib-packages that were installed in my system at the time:
> libX11
> libXau
> libXcursor
> libXdmcp
> libXfixes
> libXrender
> xextensions
> xproto
>
> They definitely install files (under include and lib/ ) that xorg provides.

Thank you for your suggestion. But if I understand you correctly, I don't
think that I fall into this catagory. I installed with the Source Developer
option from the CD (no X, no Games). Then performed:

cvsup -g -L 2 /root/stable-src-supfile && \
cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile && portsdb -uU && pkgdb -F

Then edited: /usr/sys/i386/conf/generic and saved to my custom config.
Performed a make buildworld,
make buildkernel
make installkernel
etc, etc...

Then I built the entire Xorg-6.9 server and libraries from source.
Everything worked/ performed as expected. I have not made anything
that required XFree86 (and friends) - it's purely Xorg.
But recently, I am recieving the error(s) mentioned /every/ time
I build anything that depends on GTK - /anything/. That's why I
was sure there is an issue in the GTK/GD source as provided in the
ports tree. I have no difficulties with anything unless GTK is involved.

Thanks again for your response.

--Chris

> HIH,
> Beto