error: syntax error before "_X_SENTINEL"

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Aug 10 05:05:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:24:36 -0700
"Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com> wrote:

> Hello Mark, and thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> Quoting Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz>:
>
> > Chris H. wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> I just recenlly found that I am almost always unable to
> >> build X (Xorg) related applications on a 5.5 box that has
> >> pretty recent source. The applications all die during the
> >> make process with the following error:
> >> error: syntax error before "_X_SENTINEL"
> >> Any to fix this? Googling indicates that this is a common
> >> problem without a solution.
> >>
> >> System runs Xorg 6.9.
> >>
> >> Thank you for all your time and consideration.
> >>

> > I saw this:
> >
> > http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=84b9cfbdfe961f45c90c7c47960b2268&topic=2134.msg11956
> >
> > Might be worth a try.
>
> Yes, I caught the thread on that board. But didn't find the solution you
> provided. Thanks! That was the /magic/ required to stop the whining offender
> (gdkx.h). After some more research and investigation, this anomoly
> appears to be a GTK/GD issue, and not X. I'm trying to figure out how to
> get this #ifdef hack sucked in globally for the gtk/gd environment. I'm
> /pretty/ sure gdkx.h will probably cover it. But would rather have it
> sucked in from a seperate file. So as to not contaminate the actual header
> file. I've cc'd the ports list, in hopes there is a better solution and
> (even better) a newer version that resolves this problem.

Hi all,
interesting this is appearing ... I had this problem around 23rd of march on my
laptop running 6-STABLE at the time. I am not sure if this is the *same* issue,
BUT I think it went like this...

xproto's makefile says it conflicts with xorg-libraries-*
CONFLICTS=      XFree86-libraries-* xorg-libraries-*

 i think that I had installed by hand one of the X lib-packages and that had
made the whole problem. conflicting libraries and include files. I removed all
the extra Xfree86 libs and Xorg, reinstalled Xorg and that was it.

I am not saying this is your problem... but it may be worth a try.

Xfree86 lib-packages that were installed in my system at the time:
libX11
libXau
libXcursor
libXdmcp
libXfixes
libXrender
xextensions
xproto

They definitely install files (under include and lib/ ) that xorg provides.

HIH,
Beto