5.4 postfix no longer logging

David Nugent davidn at datalinktech.com.au
Thu Apr 27 06:12:11 UTC 2006

jason wrote:

> At some point in the last couple of weeks postfix on my 5.4-RELEASE
> system stopped logging to /var/log/maillog.  The only thing in there
> now (and for all of the saved maillog files) is the turnover
> timestamp.  Any suggestions where to look?

Short answer - check:

  a) syslogd
  b) /etc/syslog.conf

Long answer:

syslogd is the logger daemon, and postfix will be logging through that.

  # /etc/rc.d/syslogd restart

may fix the problem right there. Check /var/log/messages for any errors
in syslogd startup. It may have crashed at some point or failed to start
because of a serious syntax error in /etc/syslog.conf.

If syslogd is running ok and working for the rest of the system, then
double check /etc/syslog.conf to see where mail facility logging is
directed (the default is /var/log/maillog, but that could have been
changed or the line deleted).  Check any settings in postfix for syslog
"facility" (should be 'mail') and "priority" (if exists), match these
against the filters in /etc/syslog.conf to make sure they are high
enough to be logged.