fsck_ufs locked in snaplk

secmgr security at jim-liesl.org
Wed Apr 26 17:23:45 UTC 2006

Chris Dillon wrote:

> I had problems with snapshots and hangs in 5.x.  For that, a daily
> reboot would keep the problems at bay.  I upgraded to 6.0 and the
> problems completely disappeared.  I kept 6.0-STABLE running for weeks.
>  Somewhere along the line, as 6.1 approached, similar problems
> re-appeared, but not exactly the same as what I had in 5.x.  Now
> instead of a complete system hang, individual processes will hang
> while attempting to access a certain filesystem.
I'm running 5.5-pre #5 and dumps using the snap option.  No quotas, low
usage.  Nightly dumps hung last weekend, and any new dumps (till I
rebooted) hung.  Other process' access to the drives seemed ok, but hung
dump processes were unkillable.  Sorry, didn't have any debug stuff
turned on, so I realize this info is of limited or maybe even no use.
Hadn't seen this before.  If it crops up again, I'll build a new kernel
for debugging and try and get more data.

thanks
jim