portsnap mirror servers

Marius Nuennerich marius.nuennerich at gmx.net
Tue Apr 18 17:52:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 01:43:52 +0100
Chris <chrcoluk at gmail.com> wrote:

> How many mirrors does portsnap have, it seems to only have around 3 or
> 4 and they all located in the .us whilst cvs has dozens around the
> world.
>
> Is there a eu pool of mirrors available to use or if not is their a
> way I can apply to host an eu mirror or even 2 eu mirrors.

From man portsnap:

If you wish to use portsnap to keep a large number of machines up to
date, you may wish to set up a caching HTTP proxy.  Since
portsnap uses fetch(1) to download updates, setting the HTTP_PROXY
environment variable will direct it to fetch updates from the given
proxy.  This is much more efficient than mirroring the files on the
portsnap server, since the vast majority of files are not needed by any
particular client.

So you could set up a public caching Proxy (maybe just for
portsnap.freebsd.org) and tell people to use it. Voila. Your very
efficient mirror :)

 - Marius