FreeBSD 4.9 losing mbufs!!!

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Tue Apr 18 15:55:41 UTC 2006

Kurt Jaeger wrote:

>Hi!
>

>>I've looked at the gre code til I am blue in the face and can't see
>>where mbufs  were not being freed when the quelen is full.
>>
>>If anybody could give some direction as where to look or how to better
>>trouble shoot this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>Is it possible to upgrade to 4.11p16 ?

The problem with that is I would have to upgrade the "world" - I had
tried putting over a 4.11 kernel and netstat -m wouldn't work, plus who
knows what else. The recommendation I read was to make buildworld to go
with the appropriate kernel and I am concerned if the plethora of
userland stuff, (postgres,php,apache,snort,etc,etc - about 50 ports)
would have to be recompiled and reinstalled - this would mean we would
have to go thru major regression testing and of course we need it now.

The 4.11 kernel that I tried which I had cvsuped on 3-24 to 4.11-STABLE
still showed the problem.

Is this problem fixed in 4.11p16?

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)