IP_MAX_MEMBERSHIPS

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Thu Apr 13 16:17:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:02:32AM -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Well I was trying to set up an ospf system with more than 20 neighbors
> and could only get 20 neighors to show up in quagga, so I posed the
> question to the quagga mailing list and got
> the following responses:

Thanks, yes, I saw the #define, it only has per-socket granularity is
the point I was trying to make very early in the morning.

Are the 20 different neighbours on separate ifnets i.e. separate distinct
interfaces as FreeBSD's ifconfig(8) reports them?

If so, we have a problem.
XORP in particular uses a single raw socket where possible to deal with
the raw-ip needs of a routing protocol, usually OSPF.

If there is a hard-coded limit of this kind then this is obviously going
to break OSPF when configured with more than 20 peers with distinct and
separate ifnet paths.

I'm curious about why you have 20 ifnets. Do you really have this many
physical interfaces, or are you using vlans / some kind of VPN encapsulation?

Regards,
BMS