FreeBSD 6.0 panics - sbdrop

Konstantin Saurbier saurbier at math.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Apr 13 16:16:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:55:02 +0100 (BST)
Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Konstantin Saurbier wrote:
>
> > I've encountered a strange problem while using FreeBSD 6.0 for our
> > local mirror (mirror.math.uni-bielefeld.de) and thus is providing
> > access via ftp, http, rsync and cvsup (all local and remote). The
> > system crashes periodically with a kernel panic (panic: sbdrop).
> > The uptimes between two crashes are going from a few hours to a few
> > weeks.
> >
> > The system is a i386, Intel Pentium 4 based with 512MB ram and a
> > 3ware-7000 (twe) raid controller containig 1 raid 5 set with
> > approx. 1.9TB. The kernel is a GENERIC kernel without changes of
> > the config. These are the kernel dumps:
>
> There have been one or more long-term bugs we've been attempting to
> track down that result in socket buffer corruption discovered only on
> socket close (hence in sbdrop() when we flush the cover).  We've had
> a lot of trouble tracking it down, and it's not clear that it's
> actually a single bug, since the sbdrop() panic is a sanity check
> that can detect a number of types of problems.  We could, for
> example, be looking at a network interface driver bug.  There are
> changes in progress in the 7.x branch to further clean up the socket
> code on SMP, and they might fix some outstanding problems.  There are
> a couple of instances of this bug report in the PR database, but if
> you could file the below details, it would be helpful.  I'm on travel
> currently, but will take another stab at this when back.
>
> Robert N M Watson

I filed a bug report. It is available via

If you need some other information from me, please don't hesitate to
query me.
--

Viele Gruesse,

Konstantin Saurbier

Konstantin Saurbier                Tel.: 0521 106 3861
Computerlabor Mathematik                        U5-138
Universitaet Bielefeld             Universitaetsstr.25
33501 Bielefeld
email:                  saurbier at math.uni-bielefeld.de