swap performance under 6.1

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Apr 12 18:47:07 UTC 2006

At 11:44 AM -0600 4/12/06, Scott Long wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>At 12:03 AM -0400 4/12/06, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>>
>>>I didn't think this was a 6.1 regression compared to 6.0,
>>>but 6.x compared to 4.x.  It would be good to try and
>>>quantify any performance differences here - so far it's
>>>just a bunch of people's subjective opinions (including
>>>mine) after upgrading from 4.x.
>>
>>In Dave's case, the tests are explicitly 6.0-release vs
>>6.1- at april-5th.  Those are the two installations he has on
>>his laptop, which he is comparing to each other via dual-
>>booting.  The thing is, he's not sure how to get the numbers
>>to back up the performance "feel" that he's experiencing.
>
>Is he using the same swap partitions for both of the dual-booted
>OS's?  If not, he's measuring the speed of the disk at the outer
>tracks vs the inner tracks.  There may indeed be performance
>issues in the OS, but they need to be quanitfied in a controlled
>environment and not be subject to things like this.

David has been talking about this on a local chat system for a
week or two now, but apparently he doesn't track the freebsd
mailing lists as much as I do...

 From a comment he made on that chat system:

   - As an additional datapoint, I am actually sharing the
   - swap partition between the 6.0 and 6.1 partitions, so
   - that should eliminate any problems there.  Now is the
   - 6.1 partition itself has disk issues it could still
   - explain my problems

   - OS's are on the same physical drive, different partition,
   - GENERIC for 6.0 and 6.1

It wouldn't surprise either me or David if this was something
specific to his system or his setup, but we're running out of
ideas of what that would be.  (and we're both busy juggling a
few other things in our main jobs, so we're probably not as
focused on this as issue we would like to be...).

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu