Disappointed

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Apr 10 21:56:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:23:53PM +0400, Alexey Karagodov wrote:
> ok. then, freebsd-developers may change "The Power To Serve" to "The Power
> To Test", "FreeBSD is an advanced operating system " to "FreeBSD is
> an advanced operating system in stage of forever development", etc.
> pay money to use stable (working) product or help us to develope it for
> free ...

That's right.  You now understand what Open Source/Free Software/and so
forth are all about.

If you want something where guaranteed support comes bundled with the
operating system, get Windows and a support contract, Solaris and a
support contract, or possibly RedHat (or equivalent) and a support contract.
Otherwise, you are going to get "we will do our best to provide a system,
for free, that works as well as possible for as many people as possible.
Good luck and help us to fix the inevitable bugs."  And that's true for
any of the BSDs and any of the (non-commercially-supported) Linux variants.

Or you could try to start your own company based on one of the *BSD
codebases and charge for support (basically, the RedHat business model).
Let us know how it works out.  I think there is some demand for such a
thing, but I'm not going to risk my own capital and time finding out.

In the meantime, we volunteers (who do at least 90% of the FreeBSD work)
will continue trying to do our best, with no written guarantee that it
will suit your purposes.

mcl