resolver doesn't see resolv.conf changes

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Sat Apr 8 20:00:34 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> DP>  Sorry, but what kind of hierarchy does it defeat? If client's query
> DP> can't be satisfied from provider's DNS cache, and doesn't refer to
> DP> domain which is hosted on ISP, then provider's DNS server will make
> DP> first query to root DNS server, and then will walk down domain hierarchy
> DP> (e.g. .ua -> .dp.ua -> atlantis.dp.ua). So setting client's DNS to directly
> DP> query root servers defeats just the provider's DNS cache.
>
> Not in other ways delegated domains, i.e. XXX.local.

  I think that we're talking about official domain hierarchy here, aren't we?
And those XXX.local and YYY.homenet domains are outside this hierarchy. And,
BTW, ISP clients are rarely interested in internal ISP's .local domains.
They're interested in ISP servers (SMTP, POP3/IMAP, NNTP, WEB), and these
servers usually have official names in public ISP domains, accessible via
official hierarchy (down from root servers).

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua