Disappointed

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Apr 6 20:58:02 UTC 2006

Stephen Clark wrote:
> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>
>> Stephen Clark wrote:

>>> Who in their right mind would think that "stable" actually means
>>> "stable"!!!
>>>

>> It does mean that the API is stable.
>>                               /\
>>
>> So that you can use a driver written for 6.0 on any 6.x build. And that
>> you can run software compiled for 6.0 on all following versions of the
>> 6.x branch without a compatibility layer.
>>

> Then maybe it should be called api-stable!!

There are various degrees of stability:

7-CURRENT: active development, lots of experimental and possibly unsafe
things in there.

6-STABLE: proven changes from 7-CURRENT go in here.  API is mandated to
be stable, and only well tested and fucntionally stable changes should
go in.  However, sometimes things break accidentally.

6.0-STABLE: the changes in here are for security fixes and high-profile
bugfixes.

So relatively speaking, you have 'Unstable' 'Stable' and 'Ultra-stable'.
We do our best to keep 6-STABLE free of problems, but there are
occasional problems.  It's up to the user to decide which stream is
appropriate for them, and to follow the corresponding mailing lists
to catch important notices about changes.

Scott