USB (sane) stability issues

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Thu Apr 6 14:53:18 UTC 2006

I recently acquired a CanoScan LiDE 60.

It basically works but it is very unstable: It often stops during the
scan and sane returns an error, or it just hangs during the scan (making
ugly noises). The only remedy is to re-plug the usb cable. (which
sometimes causes a panic)

I tried on my notebook which is running a recent current. It works
flawlessly there - not a single error so far.

So I upgraded my main computer to 6.1-PRERELEASE but the problem
persists:

- Are there any usb/ehci fixes in CURRENT that haven't made it to
6-stable yet? (I really don't want to update the machine that's making
troubles to current)

- Or is this more likely to be chipset related (the notebook dmesg shows
<Intel 82801DB/L/M (ICH4) USB 2.0 controller> vs VIA on the computer
that causes troubles)

Also, it occured to me that this could be power related - the scanner
doesn't require an external power suppply. I tried different USB ports
but didn't notice any difference.

dmesg can be found here:

TIA,
Stefan