Frustrating inability to boot amd64

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Thu Apr 6 01:36:31 UTC 2006

Jack> On 4/5/06, David Gilbert <dgilbert at dclg.ca> wrote:
>> At this point, I've been through 4 AMD64 motherboards.  Commonly,
>> AE_BAD_CHARACTER stops ACPI (or apic?) from figuring out the system
>> --- this has happened on 3 out of four boards.  On this latest
>> board, it can turn off APIC.  If I do that, FreeBSD hangs after
>> detecting the disks.  The only "wrong" thing on the screen is
>>
>> module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (amr_linux, 0xffffffff805ebcc0, 0)
>> error 6
>>
>> I have tested boot CDs for amd64 from 6.0-RELEASE, 6.1-BETA1 and
>> 6.1-BETA4.  None have successfully booted on these boards.
>>
>> Strangely enough, i386 boots fine, APIC and all.
>>
>> Dave.

Jack> Whats the first thing anyone that might help you gonna need???

Jack> Motherboard details, chipset, memory, etc etc... :)

Jack> I have two different amd64 systems, both have run FreeBSD 6
Jack> RELEASE, and one is running CURRENT, so its not the architecture
Jack> in general thats broken.

Jack> One last resort you might try, boot Failsafe, I've had that work
Jack> when just turning off ACPI doesnt.

Well... the other motherboard have already been exchanged, but the
current frustration is with a MSI K8NGM2 which runs an Nvidia 430/410
chipset.  However, the other boards each had a different chipset and
(as much as possible) a different bios.

Dave.