Frustrating inability to boot amd64

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Wed Apr 5 23:50:29 UTC 2006

At this point, I've been through 4 AMD64 motherboards.  Commonly,
AE_BAD_CHARACTER stops ACPI (or apic?) from figuring out the system
--- this has happened on 3 out of four boards.  On this latest board,
it can turn off APIC.  If I do that, FreeBSD hangs after detecting the
disks.  The only "wrong" thing on the screen is

module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (amr_linux, 0xffffffff805ebcc0, 0)
error 6

I have tested boot CDs for amd64 from 6.0-RELEASE, 6.1-BETA1 and
6.1-BETA4.  None have successfully booted on these boards.

Strangely enough, i386 boots fine, APIC and all.

Dave.