Problem with Razer Copperhead (USB-mouse)

Christian Baer christian.baer at informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Apr 3 23:40:47 UTC 2006

Good evening, folks!

A few hours ago I installed FreeBSD on a new machine. This is the only
one I have with a USB-mouse attached (the stated Copperhead) - actually,
it's the only machine I have with any type of mouse attached. :-)

FreeBSD boots fine and also recognizes the mouse correctly:

  kernel: uhid0: Razer Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse, rev 2.00/21.00,
  addr 2, iclass 3/1

Well, as you can see, it's recognized correctly by name, but seemingly
not as a mouse. The result is that FreeBSD starts "typing" letters, when
I move the mouse. At the same time my "real" keyboard doesn't work (IBM
Model M - PS/2 of course). If I want a keyboard I have to unplug the
mouse from the computer. Everything works as it should then - apart from
the mouse of course.

Aunty Google only revealed one "real" fact to me (which I actually
expected): A USB mouse should probably be logged as ums, not as uhid.

Is the fact that the mouse has 7 keys confusing FreeBSD or did I mess up
somewhere?

Good night peeps! :-)
Chris