[amr] raid config went from RAID5 to RAID0 ?

Rutger Bevaart rutger.bevaart at illian-networks.nl
Mon Apr 3 11:03:09 UTC 2006

I just noticed something very strange on one of our Dell PE1750 servers.
It is running FreeBSD 4-STABLE on dual CPU's with the embedded Dell Raid
controller (amr driver). Attached are 3 disks of 145GB. On a RAID5 logical
drive this gives me ~280GB storage.

Up until the last reboot (35 days ago) the 'amrcontrol' status utility
gave me:
Logical drive 0
Stipes blah
Size blah
STATUS=OPTIMAL

Now it gives:
STATUS=UNKNOWN
RAID0
No logical drives

The only thing that happened in between was an update from
4.11-p-something to 4-STABLE. I failed to check the status and the check
script failed to send out an SMS because of the UNKNOWN status.

First I thought a disk had died, but using MEGAMGR I can see that all
drives are ONLINE. Hence, no dead disks.

To be on the safe side I would like to boot the system to see what the
driver reports at bootup but I'm afraid that because of the funny RAID
config it won't survive the boot. And it's a 1,5 hour drive that I don't
want to make! Besides, I have several identical systems that don't
experience this, neither on 5.x or 6.x.

Anybody have any clues on what's going on?

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind Regards,

Rutger Bevaart