SATA RAID: Adaptec 1420SA, Promise TX4300?

Lars Cleary lars at gmx.at
Sun Apr 2 19:33:28 UTC 2006

I may need to build a box with a RAID 5 array.

After checking the OpenBSD pages for their bioctl's
driver support. Because I really prefer open drivers,
and bioctl seems to be coming Pretty Soon Now to FreeBSD too.

And their bioctl supports the AMI driver
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ami&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

I'm considering getting the Intel SRCS28X
because Intel has quite a good reputation for their boards.

And getting a SATA harddrive enclosure from here
http://www.scsi4me.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_66&products_id=1262

Can anyone comment on this card and/or enclosure?

TIA
Lars