[FreeBSD 6] semctl broken compared to 4-STABLE ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Apr 2 17:55:42 UTC 2006

Back in April '05, someone posted a thread about PostgreSQL within FreeBSD
jails:

At the time (and to date) I reported that I was running several PostgreSQL
daemons, all on the same port, using FreeBSD 4.x, and all within a jail
each ... and I continue to do this without any problems ...

Today, on our new FreeBSD 6.x machine, I am now experiencing the same
problem that Alexander originally reported ...

Its not PostgreSQL related ... I'm running 4x7.4 servers on a FreeBSD 4.x
box, all on the same port ... here, I'm trying to run 2x7.4 servers on a
FreeBSD RELENG_6 box ...

So, something has changed with FreeBSD 6's (and, according to the above
thread, 5's) use of shared memory and semaphores that is breaking the
ability to do this ... something that did work as hoped in FreeBSD 4 ...

I just tested moving one of the server to a different port, and that
appears to let it start up fine ... but, again, this is not something that
needs to be done under FreeBSD 4.x, and kinda defeats having them running
in a jail :(

Thanks ...

----