General consensus about upgrading from 5.x to 6.x?

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Thu Oct 20 06:00:07 PDT 2005

I run a very small home office network and domain off of my DSL.
Currently, I have a FreeBSD 5.4p8 firewall (pf) running.  I am really
not having any issues, but sometimes the machines gets a bit stodgy for
no solid reason [load shouldn't be that high].  I have considered the
jump to 6.0, but I have held back because of the .0 stigma surrounding
FreeBSD releases.  What do people think in this case?  I have heard that
6.0 is considered much more stable than later 5.x releases; is this true
[in context of my usage patterns]?

 How well does the new ULE scheduler (presumably no preemption) play on
servers in 6.0?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Veldhouse