Boot manager problem

Carl Gustavsson cjgu at kth.se
Sat Oct 15 12:00:28 PDT 2005

Owe Jørgensen wrote:

> I recently installed FreeBSD on a Compaq ProLiant 350 and I
> experienced similar problems.
>
> I urge you to take a look into the BIOS/Firmware on the Motherboard.
> There you will have an option called Boot Device Order.
> Make sure that the SCSI controller channel with that system disk is
> set as the first boot device. Then you set up your OS to be of type
> Other (in BIOS). Save and exit the BIOS. From now on, you stay away
> from the BIOS.
>
> NOTE: You might want to disconnect ALL ide-disks (and CDROMs if you
> have a SCSI cdrom) if you are reinstalling.
>
> Finish the installation, and power down. Reconnect all IDE-devices,
> and boot up again. Continue to format and arrange the ide-drives as
> desired.  Then install src distribution, recompile kernel and reboot.
>
> Good luck, and remember to drink a lot of coffee. ;-)
>
> Owe Jørgensen

Hi,

The problem is that there's not an option to select the scsi-controller
as first boot device.  I can boot on the scsi-disc but only if i don't
have any IDE-discs in it. If I put in IDE-discs it tries to boot to the
first IDE-disc. The BIOS is very limited in the ProLiant 400.

FreeBSD is already installed on the machine and I don't need to
reinstall it. The problem is only that it won't boot to the scsi disc if
I dont write "1:da(0,a)/boot/loader" at the boot prompt every time i
want to boot it. So I want the boot manager to boot to
"1:da(0,a)/boot/loader" as default.

/ Carl Gustavsson