DVD only gets udma2 (udma4 capable)

Peter Mulholland darkmatter at freeuk.com
Mon May 30 17:21:23 PDT 2005

Hello Axel,

Monday, May 30, 2005, 7:40:43 AM, you wrote:

AG> Im getting problems to get the DVD burner in udma4 mode. It says:
AG> AG> ata1-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
AG> This is wrong, the device is udma4 capable.

AG> The problem seems to be in the detection of the cable type, it detects it as
AG> 40-pin, while its a 80-pin one. (dmsg is at the end)

AG> * The DVD is secondary master, with no other devices on the cable

AG> * THe bios detects it correctly, on boot screen it says udma66

AG> * When booting in w*n, it says udma66

AG> * I have another hard drive udma100 on same system, so I inverted (identical)
AG> cables, and the HD is still at udma100, this to discard any cable problems.

AG> Its important to get udma66 working, in order to achive maximum burning speed
AG> for the drive.

AG> So i'm out of ideas here, and any help would be apretiated.

AG> Thanks in advance :)
(snip)

Try playing with the jumpers on the drive. If it is set to Cable
Select (CS or CSEL), try manually jumpering it to Master. To be 100% correct,
the drive should be jumpered as CSEL but i've seen quite a few cd/dvd
drives that don't seem to work correctly when put in CSEL mode with an
80 wire cable.

--
Best regards,
 Peter                            mailto:darkmatter at freeuk.com