Linuxulator & UDP & PowerWare LanSafe III

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu May 26 03:55:41 PDT 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:34, Igor Robul wrote:
> They use UDP for communications.
> If I try connect to ls3 (daemon) which is running on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE,
> then I get message about timeout from client part (ls3con).
> I see UDP packets from client to server with tcpdump on lo0 interface
> (with local client) or on fxp0 interface with remote client. But server
> start responding after 30-50 seconds. ls3con does not see server
> client it IS possible sometime connect to server if I start client after
> error message, and if client uses same local UDP port as before, then it
> gets _previous_ server response. Then they estabilish TCP connection and
> all works OK.
>
> With FreeBSD 4.X there are no any timeouts, server responds fast enought
> for client to see response. To be sure I have tried this with
> server in remote office, which I have not upgraded yet.

I can't really suggest anything except for compating version of linux_base you
are using. It may be worth ktrace'ing the server (use the linux_kdump port to
interpret the result)

Also perhaps you should consider trying to use NUT with the UPS (since it's
open source)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum