wi0 is always status: no carrier

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 13 14:06:24 PDT 2005

In message: <200505122236.14490.kirk at strauser.com>
            Kirk Strauser <kirk at strauser.com> writes:
: I've finally coerced FreeBSD 5.4 to see my PCMCIA WLAN card (with many thanks
: to Warner), but it always reports "status: no carrier".  I'm attempting to
: connect to an open WAP that broadcasts it's SSID, so my understanding is that
: it should be as simple as "ifconfig wi0 ad.dr.es.s netmask 255.255.255.0" or
: "dhclient wi0", but neither of those work.  If I do manually specify an
: address, then I can ping that address, but I'm not sure if that actually
: means anything.
:
: I've also been running tcpdump on the DHCP server for that wireless network.
: I can see plenty of traffic from the other machines, but absolutely nothing
: from the laptop.
:
: My /boot/loader.conf looks like:
:
:     hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
:     hint.apic.0.disabled="1"
:     hw.cbb.start_memory=0xd800
:
: Is there something else I'm blatantly missing?

Kirk's dmesg showed some interesting IRQ routing issues that might be
the problem:

pir0: <PCI Interrupt Routing Table: 4 Entries> on motherboard
$PIR: BIOS IRQ 11 for 0.7.INTA is not valid for link 0x22
$PIR: BIOS IRQ 11 for 0.7.INTB is not valid for link 0x22

Can you send me the output of http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/pir.c
to make sure that's not the problem.

What does vmstat show for irq 10?  How about other IRQs?

Warner