Use PCMCIA instead of CardBus?

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu May 12 08:12:02 PDT 2005

M. Warner Losh wrote:

> : I'm trying to do similar things.. I'm trying to get a wi0 wi-fi card
> : working on non-cardbus pcmcia.  It worked mostly (with acpi disabled) on
> : 5.3.  With 5.4 now I just get device timeout.  Plus, the sysinstall for
>
> Sounds like a PCI routing issue, if you are getting device timeouts.

Interestingly, today a similar procedure worked.. without device
timeouts.  This time I dropped right into the fixit shell and configured
the card without first letting sysinstall attempt its stuff.  I also
used dhclient right from start (instead of first fumbling a static
address onto the card).  Sysinstall still complained and presented me
with the network dialog (why is there no way to skip this?  There should
be an option "network already configured") but it apparently didn't
clobber the settings.  Perhaps I'll try another reinstall later and see
if I was just lucky (or unlucky the last one) or if it's more reliable
that way.

mkb.