RC4 will not install using FTP

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue May 3 10:57:56 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 16:54 +0100, Pete French wrote:
> Just been trying to install a new machine with 5.4-RC4. I normally
> do this using the bootonly image and FTP. But doing an FTP install
> always gives me the error "/: write failed, filesystem full" when
> it fetches the first chunk and tries to write it out.
>
> I get exactly the same problem doing an FTP install from the full
> disc1.iso, so it isnt a problem wiuth the boootonly iso image.
>
> Installing from the full CD works fine, however. Included below is
> the dmesg in case my hardware has something to dow ith this.

I haven't been able to reproduce this yet.  I've successfully done an
FTP install both from an initial floppy boot and from an initial disc1
CD boot.  So it's not a "totally generic" problem, it might have
something to do with the pathway you are following through sysinstall.

Was this a brand new install or were you installing over top of a
pre-existing install?  If the latter did you recycle the existing disk
partitions or have it wipe out everything and re-do them from scratch?

Thanks.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu