FreeBSD & Serial ATA

O'Reilly, Stuart stuart at aurora-solutions.co.uk
Sun May 1 08:45:14 PDT 2005

%< ---- snipped ----

> This is a low-budget suggestion:
>
> I have good experiences with RocketRAID 1520 and 1640. I'm running a
> 1640 with three SATA drives since one year without problems; it's just a
> little bit slow. Highpoint offers binary FreeBSD drivers for these
> controllers, but I think that people don't like this kind of support
> because Highpoint neglects it for older models and this dependency might
> be dangerous in future. Keep in mind: you'll get what you pay for.
>
> Regards
> Björn

I've been looking at the Highpoint RocketRAID controllers and seen that
they come with FreeBSD drivers. It's just a question of what is good and
what to avoid. I am prepared to spend between £40 - £70 on a mid range
reliable card.

I've done RAID setups in linux before (slackware) but never in FreeBSD
so i'm looking for recommendations. Not worried about hot swapping
capability.

Stuart.