5.4-PRERELEASE panics on boot with ipod shuffle plugged in

Ian Dowse iedowse at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 21 17:40:45 PST 2005

In message <20050322012341.GA649 at drjekyll.mkbuelow.net>, Matthias Buelow writes:
>Hi folks,
>
>when I have an iPod Shuffle(tm) inserted at boot in an USB slot,
>the kernel panics before it reaches the point where it starts init.
>This is on a Dell Dimension 4700 machine running FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE
>i386.  I get a fatal trap 12 panic.  Anybody else seeing this?  Is
>it a known problem with the USB subsystem?  I can build a debug
>kernel and try to produce a crash dump but that can take a while.

Hi,

If possible, could you try updating to the latest 5.x-STABLE? I've
just finished merging all of the recent changes from -CURRENT, so
there is a good chance that things might work better now.

By the way, did you have `device ehci' compiled into your kernel?
The support for EHCI controllers is what should be most improved
by the recent updates.

Ian