FreeBSD 5.4-BETA1 Available

Daniel Gerzo danger at rulez.sk
Mon Mar 21 13:00:37 PST 2005

Hello Ken,

Monday, March 21, 2005, 9:19:30 PM, you wrote about:

> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 21:04 +0100, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
>> Hello Ken,
>>   ok, since there is official anouncement and there are already posted
>>   some information to news servers like osnews, i think we should update
>>   newvers.sh so people who download BETA1 build wouldn't be confused
>>   with -PRERELEASE branch.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion but we can't.  Lots and lots and lots of past
> experience has shown us that it really freaks some people out if
> newvers.sh on a RELENG_X branch says anything other than -STABLE,
> -PRERELEASE, or -RELEASE.

  ok, if FreeBSD-team's experience is that it's better keeping
  -PRERELEASE in BETAx builds, keep it, but I personally think that
  people who download BETA builds shouldn't be misinformed with
  uname's output that they are using -PRERELEASE build.

  another thing is that when there will be more BETAs, it will be
  harder to track bugs, because people reporting them will everytime
  send that it appears in -PRERELEASE no matter how old their build
  is...

> Just before the Release Candidates we will create the RELENG_5_4 branch
> and the RCs will be based on that.  Once that's done we are free to name
> that RELENG_5_4 branch "-RC1", "-RC2", etc.  But doing that sort of
> thing on the RELENG_X branches has caused lots of panic-stricken email
> from people who believe the RELENG_X branches are "stable branches" and
> therefore should never have words like "-BETA" associated with them.

  well, people tracking RELENG_X should know, that -STABLE branch
  isn't always so stable as they think it is, or as they expect it,
  therefore -BETAx in uname's output shouldn't bring those paniced
  e-mails :)

--
Best regards