Panic - cannot get a dump

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Fri Mar 11 07:44:15 PST 2005

Bob Johnson wrote:

> Any chance your RAID array is built from two-year-old Western Digital
> drives?  Your problem sounds a lot like the one discussed here:
> http://adam.kungfoohampster.com/lists/freebsd-questions/msg18877.shtml
>
> The message above doesn't mention it, but the WD KB article also
> includes a fix for drives on 3Ware controllers.

Probably this is not the problem.  I have Seagate drives, and the
symptoms seem to be different - I have a panic, not a freeze.

Although I am having problems with the disk when I reboot.  The program
I am running outputs a "data.check" file every second or so, so that
when the program is restarted it can pick up where it left.  The code to
do this is something like
   check_point = open("data.check-tmp",O_WRONLY|O_TRUNC|O_CREAT,0644);
   write(check_point,lots-of-stuff);
   close(check_point);
   rename("data.check-tmp","data.check");
What I find is that after the panic the file "data.check" is several
days old.  I am guessing it is because the IDE Seagate disk has some
cache that it doesn't write back to the disk - probably it is the
directory itself which is not properly updated.  It is a bit annoying,
but I can live with this.  But maybe this indicates something more sinister.

I have put in another IDE disk whose only purpose is to be the disk to
dump to.  Hopefully I will be able to catch a good dump on that.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen at math.missouri.edu
http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen