I can not surf on Flash powered sites.

Brian Behlendorf brian at hyperreal.org
Thu Mar 3 23:33:55 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> Is it that hard to type 'firefox -g', alias firefox="firefox -g", or
> whatever, and use it that way for a few days to see if you can
> get a trace?

The only thing I hate more than complaining about something I can't spend
the time to try to fix is spending time writing to justify my laziness.
:) I did try to get a stace trace before, rebuilding all of firefox with
debugging, and got a trace that indicated the problem was elsewhere with
other libraries I'd have to also go off and rebuild with debugging, and so
that cute flash animation my friends said I had to go see suddenly seemed
that much less interesting to me, and I didn't look back.  This was also
on RELENG_4, and the issue appeared to be threading-related, and since
everyone was saying that threading in 4 was broken anyways and would be
fixed in 5, I punted; I just haven't had time since upgrading to 5 a few
weeks ago to look at it again.

> Most folks I know use the linuxpluginwrapper so we don't have
> any experience with the native flash player.  I think I recall
> trying it and it not working, hence the use of linuxpluginwrapper.

/usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper/pkg-message says:

   Firefox has a double free problem wih Flash7.  So I don't
   support it.  Please don't send me a report about firefox.
   Of course, I always welcome to recieve fixed problems report.

That's kept me away from trying it.

 	Brian