Need really cheap IDE mirroring PCI controlled for FreebBSD 4.10

Dominic Marks dom at helenmarks.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 12:48:46 GMT 2005

Artem Kuchin said:
> pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:27:07 +0300, Artem Kuchin <matrix at itlegion.ru>
>> wrote:
>>> Can anybody recommend cheap IDE mirroring PCI (2.0, not 2.1 or 2.2)
>>> controller with just 2 IDE ports which works fine with FreeBSD 4.10 ?
>>>
>>> It is to be installed on a very old motherboard (1998) and two 40GB
>>> IDE driver (more or less modern ones, at least not used ones for
>>> sure).
>>
>> sorry I don't know of any really cheap one's off hand, altho I do have
>> experience with 3Ware RAID cards on 4.x.  They seemed to work well,
>> and they are less expensive than proper SCSI cards...altho slower.  If
>> cost really an issue would it be worth mirroring your disks in
>> software via VINUM?
>
> Well, i don't trust software raids. But 3ware is probably one of the most
> expensive raid 0,1 controllers. There must be something around 40$ which
> freebsd supports. Does anyone known any model?

Highpoint Rocket RAID ATA-133 which I found in the catalogue of a UK
computer parts retailer seems to be what you want. 2 channel ATA-133 which
does RAID 0/1 (don't know if it does it all on the card). It's slightly
over your price target of $40 though, from this retailer its about  £60.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/r133.htm

I have a similar SATA controller which from Highpoint which seems to work
pretty well.

> --
> Regards,
> Artem Kuchin