5.4 Installer + Promise FT100TX2 = Loader crash

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sat Jun 25 11:57:26 GMT 2005

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:54, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > I wonder if it's a problem where a memory area is overwritten because
> > there is more info from the BIOS than expected (ie floppy, CDROM, RAID).
>
> Sounds like a promising possibility (good pun too) - as removing the

:)

> RAID card (in my case a Promise TX2000) certainly makes it go away.

I find even disconnecting the drives so no RAID is detected works - ie it's
not the presence of the card per se that is a problem.

> Some other observations:
>
> 5.0 and 5.1 install CDs boot fine for me (have not tried 5.2), it is
> only 5.3 and 5.4 (also today 6.0 CURRENT) that crash (reg dump ) or
> reboot immediately.

Hmm I see.. I know it works OK with 4.<mumble> as I have installed plenty of
systems like that. I will try some earlier 5.x releases (say, boot only ISOs)
and see how it goes.

> That fact that it *sometimes* works is interesting - I am curious to see
> if you can reproduce this (say try 10 - 15 times).

OK, well I'll try it a few times and see :)

Thanks for your input.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum