5.4 Installer + Promise FT100TX2 = Loader crash

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jun 25 10:24:24 GMT 2005

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Hmm strange..
> I tried it a few times on an ABit AV8, once on an Epox 8KRDA+ and a few times
> on an Epox nForce2 board (I can't remember exactly which model) and it has
> never worked. They all have AWARD BIOSen (if it matters)
>
> I wonder if it's a problem where a memory area is overwritten because there is
> more info from the BIOS than expected (ie floppy, CDROM, RAID).

Sounds like a promising possibility (good pun too) - as removing the
RAID card (in my case a Promise TX2000) certainly makes it go away.

Some other observations:

5.0 and 5.1 install CDs boot fine for me (have not tried 5.2), it is
only 5.3 and 5.4 (also today 6.0 CURRENT) that crash (reg dump ) or
reboot immediately.

That fact that it *sometimes* works is interesting - I am curious to see
if you can reproduce this (say try 10 - 15 times).

Cheers

Mark