FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Fri Jun 17 23:24:53 GMT 2005

matthias,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:12:06PM +0200, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Wilko Bulte <wb at freebie.xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> >If you give me $5 per Unix system found there I can retire here and now.
>
> For financial transaction processing, and the customer's accounts?
> I hope it's not my bank..

i know i'm not so well thought of around these parts .. but for my
$AUD0.02 worth.

my last two contracts, believe it or not i was a systems analyst for
some 12 years before i was retired out of my last contract to become a
permanently disabled man, now on permanent disability welfare. the
nature of my disabilites leaves me with impeared communications skills
and severe chronic pain, for which i take lareg quantities of very
heavy duty analgesics .. whchi also impear teh (already impearde)
communications skills.

i'm writing to let you know that two of australias largest banks not
only run whooping great mainframes but also run mainframe UNIX, no not
linux but commercial UNIX and for the 6 plus years i worked in teh
backoffice in a development on a cash management tool the only errors i
saw the mainfreme and its unix operating system make were directly
attributable to human errors .. mainly misskeying on teh transactions
scripts or latter when teh "OCR" readers didn't deccipher the humans
handwriting on teh transactons slipps. also but in teh lmosta rare as
hens teeth was a poorly MICR encoded transaction script that gage
ambigious results on multiple passes through the decoder that lead to
poor quality data.

umm yes computers make mistakes, and mainframes make bigger mistakes,
and unix makes really big mistakes but its usually the case that its
been told precisely to do that, whchis wrong by its human handler.

please note: i'm not putting teh tellers and data operatiors on teh
freing line. its teh banks management that loking to squeeze every last
drop of profit from n aging, ols and creaking system thats making all
these so called "computer errors" .. its so easy to accuse somebody or
thing when its not able (or given a chance) to defend itself.

sory i;m starting to mount my soap box here ..

tak care matthias mainframes are only very big unix boxen in desguise.

best wish and most warm regards

jonathan