FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Fri Jun 17 21:35:10 GMT 2005

Wilko Bulte <wb at freebie.xs4all.nl> writes:

>Yes.  Go and visit the London City and check their computer rooms.
>You will be surprised about the number of UNIX boxes.  You don't
>think IBM, HP, Sun etc sell their UNIX machines just to ISPs or..?

And these are the machines where the master account data is stored?

>It might very well be your bank..

I've browsed a bit.. they seem to be using one (or more) S/390
(zSeries). Although a different branch office indeed seems to have
replaced it for a couple pSeries machines with AIX and some Veritas
clusters but I don't know what the purpose of this installation is. But
in general I'd think that mainframes are still dominant here. From what
I've heard, all transactions are also printed, in real-time, on paper
(by high-speed lineprinters), so that even when the machines fail
completely and lose transaction data, there is still a hardcopy log. At
least I hope that this is (still) true.

mkb.