CPUTYPE for Sempron

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Jun 13 19:24:30 GMT 2005

On 06/13/05 14:03, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
> use CFLAGS=-march=atlhlon-xp. CPUTYPE overrides CFLAGS, so it doesn't
> provide You such sophisticated optimizations.
> If You plan to make buildworld, use:
> CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=athlon-xp
> Anyway, if You just use ports collection, and don't make buildworld
> CFLAGS=-O3 -pipe -march=athlon-xp
> is also reliable, but it might make some trouble when making buildworld.

CPUTYPE doesn't override CFLAGS.  Read /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk.
Specifically, the second to last line:
CFLAGS += ${_CPUCFLAGS}

Earlier in the file you see:
_CPUCFLAGS = -march=${CPUTYPE}

So in effect what is happening:
CFLAGS += -march=athlon-xp

I use the following with no issues on 5.x and CURRENT:
CPUTYPE ?= athlon-xp
CFLAGS = -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
COPTFLAGS = -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr at alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195