[Fwd: Re: Show stopper for large disks with 5.4-RELEASE]

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Wed Jun 8 22:27:20 GMT 2005

secmgr wrote:

> hanging all IO's to the partition.  Scale that upto 1.8TB, and I could
> see where you could be going nowhere for a good 10 minutes just waiting
> for the snap to finish.  Still better than waiting hours for fsck, but
> nowhere near the recovery speed of a true journaled system.

Seemingly Scott Long is working on journaling for ufs2.

http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-jan-2005-mar-2005.html#Filesystem-journalling-for-UFS

I like softupdates, conceptually (if they work correctly as described,
which I do not know) but if ufsj can omit the fsck garbage collection
after an unclean boot that would be a great boon. It would be nice if
one can in the future chose between softupdates (for smaller
filesystems) and journalling (for larger ones), or so.

mkb.