Show stopper for large disks with 5.4-RELEASE

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 22:17:00 GMT 2005

Within the space of about 10 minutes this article appeared here,

On Jun 8, 2005, at 5:48 PM, secmgr wrote:
> Actually it's a very valid choice.  At this time, Linux offers
> ext3, XFS (from SGI), JFS (from IBM) and RieserFS as journaled file
> systems (as in no fscking fsck).  JFS, XFS and RieserFS offer very
> good performance with big directories (like Maildir style mailboxes
> could create) and recover from unexpected outages quickly (journal
> replay to last checkpoint is typically seconds) and robustly.  In
> fact, if I were to deploy a large Maildir system, where users could
> have thousands of files per directory, I would definitly be looking
> at JFS, XFS or Rieser.  Linux also has a WORKING logical volume
> manager, and a WORKING s/w raid5 whose performance is close to all
> but the most high end RAID controllers. But I digress.

...and this one on a NetBSD list:

Subject: Re: google's summer of code makefs extension
To: None <netbsd-users at netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos at tac.gw.com>
List: netbsd-users at netbsd.org
Date: 06/09/2005 00:18:00

In article <20050608162224.GA6831 at ispid.com.pl>,
Zbigniew Baniewski  <zb at ispid.com.pl> wrote:
 >On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:01:55AM -0500, Greg Naughton wrote:
 >> Reiserfs would be fun.
 >
 > Will you? ;)  Even that simpler (I suppose, it's simpler...)
3.5.23...

Please don't. If you really want, first fix reiserfs on linux so that:

1. It has an fsck that works instead of spending 18 hours or an 1T
filesystem
    only to proclaim in the end that it cannot be fixed.
2. Does not turn data into trash after a few weeks of heavy
filesystem use.

christos

     -----

I haven't used anything but ext2/3 on Linux, so I don't have any axes
to grind one way or the other, but there definitely seems to exist
some very different perspectives on how stable and robust ReiserFS
is.  :-)

--
-Chuck

PS: I'm not interested in spreading platform-specific FUD, but these
two messages arriving in my inbox almost at once do make quite a
contrast.