IrDA question

caleb destroyingculture at netspace.net.au
Wed Jul 20 19:41:19 GMT 2005

Hi,
   I have been having some problems getting the Ir device on my laptop
working. The device is listed as serial port B and a FIR device in BIOS,
the laptop motherboard is an Intel 855pm (the Ir device is onboard).

dmesg shows that the device is detected and listed as a serial device.
Because BIOS listed it as serial port B I am assuming it is sio1;

sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 onacpi0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 drq 1 on acpi0
sio1: type 16550A

I have installed birda and can run irs. When I type the follwing irs
starts but when I use my mobile phone to search for a device or send a
file the phone reports 'No device found'.

irs -v 1 -e -c -y /dev/ptypv -d /dev/cuaa1

I do not understand why this is happening as I have specifiede the 'c'
option so irs runs as a COMM server. I also set 'y' to use a psudo
terminal. Do I need a specific application like pilot-link for palm to
communicatate over the Ir link that irs has initiated?

Thanks,

caleb

--
There is no spoon.