ahd problems on 5.4-STABLE and 6.0-BETA1

Peter Czanik pczanik at fang.fa.gau.hu
Wed Jul 20 15:57:33 GMT 2005

Hello,
It seems to me, that the 'ahd' driver got some problems on both
5.4-STABLE and 6.0-BETA1. My hardware is a HP Workstation 6000, with an
on-board Adaptec SCSI controller, which is disabled in BIOS, as I only
have IDE CD- and harddrives.
I start with 6.0-BETA1, as it's the easier one: when I boot the install
CD, it finds the controller, writes "Unable to read SEEPROM", it waits a
few seconds, writes another 20 lines of error messages on screen, then
reboots the computer, so there isn't time to read the rest of messages
and can't install the beta.
5.4-STABLE: simptoms are the same on my installed 5.4-STABLE machine, I
can read "Unable to read SEEPROM", it waits, prints some more messages,
and reboots. When I boot an older kernel (from the 29th of June), the
kernel finds the controller, and works fine. Compiling a kernel without
ahd support (commenting out: '#device ahd') solves the problem as well,
and the machine boots fine.
This is part of dmesg from the old kernel:
Jul 20 13:48:02 beech kernel: ahd0: <Adaptec AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI
adapter> at device 12.0 on pci5
Jul 20 13:48:02 beech kernel: aic7902: Ultra320 Wide Channel A, SCSI
Id=7, PCI 33 or 66Mhz, 512 SCBs
Jul 20 13:48:02 beech kernel: ahd1: <Adaptec AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI
adapter> at device 12.1 on pci5
Jul 20 13:48:02 beech kernel: aic7902: Ultra320 Wide Channel B, SCSI
Id=7, PCI 33 or 66Mhz, 512 SCBs
Bye,
Peter